Mr. President, the time to end exclusion from marriage is now. We ask you to complete your journey and join us, and the majority of Americans, who support the freedom to marry.
Same-sex couples are often denied:
- hospital visitation when there’s been an accident or illness
- the ability to obtain “family” health coverage
- taxation and inheritance rights
- their role as parent of their children
- even protection in case the relationship ends.
There are over 1,100 protections and responsibilities denied to same-sex couples in long-term committed relationships including access to health care, parenting rights, social security, veterans and survivor benefits, and transfer of property—and that doesn’t include several hundred state and local laws, protections conferred by employers, or the intangible security, dignity, respect, and meaning that comes with marriage. Excluding committed same-sex couples from marriage means shutting out families from the safety and security created by these protections and responsibilities.
Please take a moment to sign this letter….if someone tryed to make your marriage not count, I’d sign for you.